Apocalypse World: The Watch
Dylan, the Savvyhead
Slightly smaller than average. At a distance, wouldn't make much of him, but take off the grease and he'd be considered a catch.
- Spooky Intense: When you do something under fire, roll+weird instead of +cool.
- Things Speak: Whenever you handle or examine something interesting, roll+weird. On a hit, you can ask the MC questions. On a 10+, ask 3. On a 7–9, ask 1:
• who handled this last before me?
• who made this?
• what strong emotions have been most recently nearby this?
• what words have been said most recently nearby this?
• what has been done most recently with this, or to this?
• what’s wrong with this, and how might I fix it?
Treat a miss as though you’ve opened your brain to the world’s psychic maelstrom and missed the roll.
- Workspace: When you go into your workspace and dedicate yourself to making a thing, or to getting to the bottom of some shit, decide what and tell the MC. The MC will tell you “sure, no problem, but…” and then 1 to 4 of the following:
• it’s going to take hours/days/weeks/months of work;
• first you’ll have to get/build/fix/figure out ___;
• you’re going to need ___ to help you with it;
• it’s going to cost you a fuckton of jingle;
• the best you’ll be able to do is a crap version, weak and unreliable;
• it’s going to mean exposing yourself (plus colleagues) to serious danger;
• you’re going to have to add ___ to your workplace first;
• it’s going to take several/dozens/hundreds of tries;
• you’re going to have to take ___ apart to do it.
The MC might connect them all with “and,” or might throw in a merciful “or.”
Once you’ve accomplished the necessaries, you can go ahead and accomplish the thing itself. The MC will stat it up, or spill, or whatever it calls for.
- A workshop full of machining tools
- A junkyard full of raw materials
- Booby traps on both
- Sawed-off shotgun
- Big knife
Slightly smaller than average. At a distance, wouldn’t make much of him, but take off the grease and he’d be considered a catch. Wears old mechanic’s gear with knicknacks and gadgets across him, always carrying his crowbar. He’s very expressive, which might give him away – unless it’s an act. Always looking for the value in things.
He gets assistance from Hank now and again.